Mural 7

“Peace Treaty of 1855″ 

As a result of the great western migration in the mid-1800′s, the Indians and the White Man found that they could not live together in peace. So it came to pass on June 25, 1855 that General Joel Palmer, Superintendant of Indian Affairs in the Oregon Territory signed a treaty with the Wasco, Upper and Lower Deschutes, John Day River and Dog Rover Indians (Hood River) at the crossing on Three Mile Creek just south of The Dalles. The treaty provided the 1,400 (approx.) Indians be placed on the 11,000 square mile Warm Springs Reservation, in present day S.W. Wasco and N.W. Jefferson Counties. In return, the indians ceded all their lands to the United States Government for $150,000 to be paid over twenty years. Further, The U.S. Government agrees to provide a sawmill, flourmill, plow shop, schoolhouse and hospital plus other facilities to help the indians adjust to reservation life. White people were also assigned to instruct them in their use. Today, the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs are a valued part of our community and their world class museum and resort warmly welcome visitors from all over the world.
Artist: R.E. Pierce and Don Prechtel
Painted:
 1996
Location:
 Downtown, E. 2nd Street between Monroe and Taylor.