“Hudson Bay Company”
The British-owned Hudson Bay Company dominated the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest during the early 1800′s. Dr. John McLaughlin, who headed the Northwest enterprise, sent brigades of boats far up the Columbia River to far flung Company forts, bringing loads of supplies and returning with a bounty of furs. During the years 1824 to 1846, the brigades would ply their trade at The Dalles, an historic Indian trading site, purchasing the coveted beaver pelts for such items in trade as blankets, tobacco and pipes, knives, traps, beads, powder and balls.
Artist: Roger Cooke
Location: Downtown, E. 2nd Street near JD Smith Jewelers