“Lewis and Clark at Rock Fort”
Rock Fort is an important Mid Columbia Campsite of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. After Portage around the Great Falls (Celilo) they came to a gentle part of the river near the present city of The Dalles. They formed their camp on a high point of rocks, which forms “A kind of fortification well calculated for defense.” Here the expedition remained October 25, 26 and 27, 1805 while they dried supplies, repaired canoes, hunted and reconnoitered the river below. They returned to camp here again on their return jouney on April 15, 1806 to (Lewis wrote) “The place we called Rock Fort Camp.”
Artist: Robert Thomas
Location: Downtown, E. Federal Street between 1st and 2nd, on the building occupied by Tony’s Town and Country.